Table of Contents
List of bills and their links to the full text & sponsors
- Free Market Health Care Talking Points
- Letters, Pamphlets, Handouts, Activism Kits
- Industry Related Health Care Plans & Viewpoints (opposing & supporting views)
Primary Proposed Legislation:
|DEMOCRATIC PARTY||REPUBLICAN PARTY
|H.R. 3200: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes.Rep. John Dingell [D-MI15] (Sponsor)Rep. Robert Andrews [D-NJ1]Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI5]Rep. Carolyn Maloney [D-NY14]Rep. George Miller [D-CA7]Rep. Frank Pallone [D-NJ6]Rep. Charles Rangel [D-NY15]Rep. Fortney Stark [D-CA13]Rep. Henry Waxman [D-CA30]||S. 1099: Patients’ Choice ActA bill to provide comprehensive solutions for the health care system of the United States, and for other purposes.Sen. Thomas Coburn [R-OK] (Sponsor)Sen. Lamar Alexander [R-TN]Sen. Jim Bunning [R-KY]Sen. Richard Burr [R-NC]Sen. Saxby Chambliss [R-GA]Sen. Lindsey Graham [R-SC]Sen. James Inhofe [R-OK]Sen. John Isakson [R-GA]|
|H.R. 2520: Patients’ Choice ActA bill to provide comprehensive solutions for the health care system of the United States, and for other purposes.Rep. Paul Ryan [R-WI1] (Sponsor)Rep. Ken Calvert [R-CA44]Rep. John Campbell [R-CA48]Rep. John Linder [R-GA7]Rep. Kenny Marchant [R-TX24]Rep. Tom McClintock [R-CA4]Rep. Devin Nunes [R-CA21]|
Secondary Health Care Legislation (all parties):
|H.R. 502: Health Care Freedom of Choice ActTo amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to improve health care choice by providing for the tax deductibility of medical expenses by individuals.
Sponsor: Michele Bachmann (R-MN6)
|H.R. 2630: Protect Patients and Physicians Privacy ActTo protect the privacy of patients and physicians.
Sponsor: Ronald Paul (R-TX14)
|H.R. 859: Small Business CHOICE Act of 2009To encourage the development of small business cooperatives for healthcare options to improve coverage for employees (CHOICE) including through a small business CHOICE tax credit.
Sponsor: Rep. Nydia Velázquez [D-NY12]
|H.R. 195: Informed Choice ActTo authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to make grants to nonprofit tax-exempt organizations for the purchase of ultrasound equipment to provide free examinations to pregnant women needing such services, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep. Clifford Stearns [R-FL6]
|H.R. 684: Medicare Prescription Drug Savings and Choice Act of 2009 (and S. 330 sister bill) To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to deliver a meaningful benefit and lower prescription drug prices under the Medicare Program.
Sponsor: Rep. Robert Berry [D-AR1]
|H.R. 2668: Choice in Health Options Insures Care for Everyone (CHOICE) Act of 2009To provide for the offering of an American Trust Health Plan to provide choice in health insurance options so as to ensure quality, affordable health coverage for all Americans.
Sponsor: Rep. Christopher Murphy [D-CT5]
|S. 1259: PATIENTS Act of 2009 (and sister bill H.R. 3002) A bill to protect all patients by prohibiting the use of data obtained from comparative effectiveness research to deny coverage of items or services under Federal health care programs and to ensure that comparative effectiveness research accounts for advancements in personalized medicine and differences in patient treatment response.
Sponsor: Sen. Jon Kyl [R-AZ]
|S. 1240: Roadmap for America’s Future Act of 2009A bill to provide for the reform of health care, the Social Security system, the tax code for individuals and business, and the budget process.
Sponsor: Sen. Jim DeMint [R-SC]
|S. 1324: Health Care Freedom Act of 2009A bill to ensure that every American has a health insurance plan that they can afford, own, and keep.
Sponsor: Sen. Jim DeMint [R-SC]
Also frequently referred to as the “Single Payer Health System” proposal.
To provide for comprehensive health insurance coverage for all United States residents, improved health care delivery, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep. John Conyers [D-MI]
Free Market Health Care Talking Points:
Smart Girl Politics: Other Health Care Resources
- The Health Care Debate
- Health Care War-room
- Search all Health Care on Smart Girl Politics
- Campaign Group: Operation Collar a Blue Dog
- Obama’s Health Care Reform: What Will It Do to Seniors? (fact sheet in PDF)
- Fix Health Care Policy
- Rapid Response: Health Care
The Obama Experiment (GOP campaign)
Letters, Pamphlets, Handouts, Activism Kits
These are not endorsed by nor affiliated with Liberty Chick. These links are simply provided for your reference – as always, please do your own research to familiarize yourself with the content and determine if it reflects your views. Read the related bills, find more facts, then form your own opinion and speak with others.
Printable Letter to Send to Your Congressman and Senators
From Tea Party Patriots / American Liberty Alliance (Word .doc)
Health Care Recess Action Kit
This is an excellent package of resources that includes:
- Legislative Feedback Form
- Sample Letter to the Editor (makes writing to your newspaper easy)
- Community Petition template
- “ObamaCare Translator”: Interpreting the Spin
- ObamaCare health insurance card, key bullet points of negative impacts of a public option
A fact sheet handout prepared by the Heritage Foundation
The Top 10 Myths of American Health Care: a Citizen’s Guide
by Sally Pipes
An EXCELLENT and comprehensive guide from a professional in the field. Sally Pipes has been on the Medical Advisory Council of Genworth Financial’s Long-Term Care Insurance Division in 2006, the national advisory board of Capital Research Center, the advisory board for the Bastiat Journalism Prize, the board of advisors of the San Francisco Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, the Advisory Board of the California Association of Scholars, and the State Policy Network president’s advisory council. She has served as a trustee of St. Luke’s Hospital Foundation in San Francisco, a board member of the Independent Women’s Forum, and as a governor of the Donner Canadian Foundation.
Health Care Legislation and “The Public Option”
Basic Health Care Legislation Resource Kit
author, Lou Flanagan
Written by Flanagan, using industry sources as well as those compiled by various citizen organizations and volunteers who worked with professionals in the medical field to collect their input, this is a comprehensive activist kit for engaging physicians in the health care debate, and collaborating with patients and businesses to educate all on the real impacts of the public option in the health care legislation. It is filled with lots of information that has been directly gathered from medical professionals, as well as articles, reports and figures from relevant studies. Also download as part of the full kit the following files:
- Healthcare Advocacy Summary, download this set of instructions with the full kit. This file contains a Program Checklist for ideas, needs and resource AND checklist of items for the promotion of this program
- Publicity & Press Release Program: includes a template, recommendations for structuring the role of PR personnel in your organization, a suggested PR schedule, and tips on what to say and what not to say
Industry Related Health Care Plans & Viewpoints
(opposing & supporting views)
Reports on Health Reform (from HealthReform.gov)
America’s Health Insurance Plans (coalition of insurance companies)
Institute for America’s Future, Jacob Hacker, “The Case for Public Plan Choice in National Health Reform“, University of CA Berkeley
Health Care Coalition & Research Websites:
World Health Care Congress’ Forum on the Changes Ahead
Central website that is an aggregate of many health care plans and organizations from all perspectives (though the site’s editorial content leans left).
Patients United Now (from Americans for Prosperity):
Conservatives for Patients Rights:
Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, Health Care Reform Action Center
Heritage Foundation, “Fix Health Care Policy”:
Cato Institute, “Health, Welfare & Entitlements”:
Tea Party Patriots, Health Care Events & Action Center:
American Liberty Alliance:
The Galen Institute
Mayo Clinic Health Policy Center
Socialized & Single-Payer Health Care Talking Points:
(Not all inclusive)
All The President’s Followers: Organizing for America
Health Care for America Now
Coalition of unions and organizations that are demanding government-run health care instead of REAL reform for America that represents fundamental American free-market principles. NOTE: this group is heavily funded by the Tides Foundation, and shares the same address as Americans Against Escalation in Iraq , Campaign for America’s Future , and Democracy 21
SEIU Health Care campaigns & partner organizations
SEIU Health Care Partner Organizations
- Asian American Justice Center (AAJC)
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance – AFL-CIO (APALA)
- Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
- Center for Community Change (CCC)
- Colorado Progressive Action
- Hispanic Federation (HF)
- Idaho Community Action Network
- La Clinica del Pueblo
- Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA)
- Latino Federation
- Latinos for National Health Insurance
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
- Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity
- Montanans for Health Care
- National Council of Urban Indian Health
- National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA)
- National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC)
- National Puerto Rican Coalition (NPRC)
- National Women’s Law Center (NWLC)
- Northwest Federation of Community Organizations (NWFCO)
- Oregon Action (OA)
- Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA)
- Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease (PFCD)
- Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities Coalition (REHDC)
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
- Take Action Minnesota
- The Gamaliel Foundation
- The Task Force
- URU The Right to Be, Inc.
- South Dakotans for Health Care Solutions
- Washington Community Action Network (WCAN)
Links on Health Reform Proposals Under the Prior Administration:
S. 2042 Access to Affordable Health Care Act – Susan Collins (R-ME)
S. 569 Health Care Access Improvement Act – Conrad Burns (R-MT)
S. 24 Health Care Assurance Act of 2001 – Arlen Specter (R-PA) [former Republican, now a Democrat]
H.R. 5705 Health Care Freedom of Choice Act – Christopher Cox (R-CA)
See complete lists of prior proposed Health Care Reform bills: